2nd EuroSDR Workshop on High Density Image Matching for DSM Computation
EuroSDR Commission 2
Federal Office of Metrology and Surveying (BEV)
Meeting room A802
June 13, 2013, 11:00 - 17:30, Social Event in the evening
June 14, 2013, 8:30 - 15:00
The workshop goal is to identify the status and trends in high resolution image matching of aerial imagery and to give recommendations to developers from the users (NMCA) point of view as well as to EuroSDR for project steering. The 1st workshop, held in Vienna in February 2012, demonstrated the potential but also identify the lack of experience. As an outcome, a benchmark typical for NMCA production processes was set up.
Benchmarking of different approaches for the generation of high resolution digital surface models is necessary for NMCAs and developers alike, showing the strengths and weakness of different approaches and the possibility for integration into a processing workflow.
The workshop addresses practicioners, scientists, and photogrammetric software companies. This 2nd workshop approaches specifically participants of the benchmark. These are especially
- National and regional mapping agencies, engaged in capturing, generation, and processing of digital topographic data, more specifically digital surface and terrain models.
- Researchers working on high density matching algorithms with an interest in benchmarking the performance of their algorithms in the application domain of NMCAs.
- Developers and product managers of photogrammetric software for DSM generation from aerial imagery.
Participants will gain a deeper understanding of the performance of dense matching algorithms. This will enable them to select suitable approaches for deriving digital topographic data meeting the individual requirements.
Thursday, June 13, 2013
- 11:00-12:30 Opening Session, Chair: M. Franzen (BEV, Federal Office of Surveying, Austria)
- Welcome Addresses by host BEV and EuroSDR (15 min)
- D. Fritsch (EuroSDR Vice President): Moving EuroSDR Forward - The Project "Benchmark on Image Matching" (35 min)
- W. Stößel (LVG Bayern, Germany): Motivation for a dense image matching benchmark for NMCAs (20 min)
- M. Gruber (Microsoft Photogrammetry, Austria): Motivation for a dense image matching benchmark for software providers (20min)
- 12:30-13:30 Lunch
- 13:30-14:50 A User's Point of View, Chair: N. Pfeifer (GEO TU Wien)
- H. Lehner (City Adminstration Vienna): Exploiting the DSM in city areas: examples from a municipality (40 min)
- K. Schadauer (Federal Forest Research Center, Austria) and G. Bronner (Umweltdata, Austria): Exploiting the DSM for vegetation analysis: examples from forest inventories and forest enterprises (40 min)
- 14:50-15:20 Coffee Break
- 15:20-17:30 Break Out Session, Chair: D. Fritsch
- Group discussions on Expectation on Image Matching for DSM generation (90 min)
- Wrap up, Presentation of results of group discussions (25 min)
- M. Franzen, Closing of day 1, Annoucements (15 min)
- 19:00 Social event
Friday, June 14, 2013
- 8:30-10:30 Benchmark State, Results, and Evaluation, Chair: W. Stößel
- N. Haala (ifp, Stuttgart University): Benchmark of Image Matching - the current state (15 min)
- C. Ginzler (WSL - Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research): Results (12 min)
- B. Brunner (FMM - Forest Mapping and Management, Salzburg): Results (12 min)
- R. Schneider (Geosystems, Munich): Results (12 min)
- P. Nonin (Astrium Services, France): Results (12 min)
- C. Ressl (GEO TU Wien, Vienna): Results (12 min)
- M. Idrissa (Royal Military Academy, Brussels): Results (12 min)
- K. Gutjahr (Joanneum Research, Graz): Results (12 min)
- M. Pierrot-Deseilligny (IGN France): Results (12 min)
- M. Rothermel (ifp, University of Stuttgart): Results (12 min)
- 10:35-11:00 Coffee Break
- 11:00-11:30 Benchmark State, Results, and Evaluation, continued
- N. Haala: Comparsion of computed DSM results (30 min)
- 11:30-12:45 Break Out Session, Chair: D. Fritsch
- Group discussions on Usability of Image Matching for DSM generation (75 min)
- 12:45-13:45 Lunch Break
- 13:45-15:00 Closing Session, Chair: M. Franzen
- Wrap up, presentation of results of group discussions (45 min)
- D. Fritsch: Summary (15 min)
On June 13th, participants are invited to the workshop dinner.
We advise workshop participants to stay at the Hotels IMLAUER & Nestroy, located within walking distance (<15 min) from the workshop venue. Booking code "EuroSDR". A contingent of rooms has been reserved until May 23rd, 2013.
Hotel Nestroy Vienna
Tel.: +43-1-211 400
email@example.com (booking code: EuroSDR)
Vienna University of Technology, Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation, Research Group Photogrammetry, Norbert Pfeifer
Federal Office for Metrology and Surveying , Austria, Michael Franzen
The Social Event of the workshop is sponsored by Microsoft Photogrammetry.
The registration fee is EUR 40,-- including lunch and coffee breaks and the workshop dinner. The fee can only be paid in cash directly at the registration desk. No reductions apply. Please register by email to Mrs. Sabine Zischinsky firstname.lastname@example.org. The local registration is open from June 13th, 2013, 9:00 a.m.
May 17, 2013