The Remote Sensing research group of the Department of Geodesy and Geoinformation of TU Wien is currently looking to recruit a motivated
Software Developer and Data Manager (m/f)
You enjoy working in a scientific environment at the leading edge of research in remote sensing and modelling of geophysical variables? You want to work with researchers towards excellent solutions to the technical problems that scientific work poses? If the answers to these questions is yes, then this job is for you.
Our group comprises about 30 staff members currently working on approximately 20 projects supported by various national, European and international programs, grants and funding sources.
To support the research work of our team, we are looking for a skilled software developer with a background or interest in geospatial sciences.
Skills and Requirements
- In depth knowledge of Python
- Experience working with Python libraries like numpy, scipy and pandas
- Strong foundation in both object oriented and functional programming
- Experience in using Continuous Integration and Version Control (Git) is a plus
- Experience working with big volumes (100 TB+) of data is a plus
- Proven track record of writing modular, tested software is a plus
- You love working in Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS) but can get by in Windows
- Eagerness to learn new technologies
- An academic background in geodesy, geoinformation sciences, geomathematics, physical geography, mathematics, information sciences, or similar is not required but would be an additional asset
- Strong analytical and technical skills and problem solving capability
- Good written and spoken communication skills in English
- The opportunity to work in an innovative, motivated and successful team
- Ability to choose your own tools and influence department IT policies
- Possibility to enroll in the BSc/MSc/PhD program of TU Wien
- Flexible working hours
- A stimulating and friendly working environment at the department
- The salary for this part time (20 hours/week) position is based on the Austrian regulations for university staff. The minimum monthly gross salary is € 978,00 (for 20 hours/week). Individual overpayment is possible based on experience. The monthly salary is paid 14 times per year. The position is limited to 1 year, with the option of an extension.
If this job opportunity fits your career development plans we are looking forward to receiving your application (cover letter, CV, relevant references and publications) in English and as one single PDF file via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidate selection will start on 1 December 2017 and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. TU Wien will not refund any cost occurring in the course of an application.